This amazingly simple peanut chicken is an Indo-Asian cuisine that can suit best with pulao, paratha, and naan. We Indians have also adapted it as a side dish with normal steamed rice and noodles. If you are a non-vegetarian, you must try out the peanut chicken recipe.
What is Peanut Chicken made of?
As the name indicates, the main ingredient is of course chicken and peanut. The taste of peanut chicken is a bit sweet because of the mashed peanuts and curd which are the main ingredients of this recipe. A little flavor of chili makes it perfect as a side dish for dinner and lunch. You can also add a little lime juice and honey to improve the taste.
How to Prepare Peanut Chicken?
Apart from regular ingredients like mustard oil, turmeric powder, mustard powder, garam masala, salt, cinnamon, cumin powder, onion, ginger, and garlic; the recipe needs curd and mashed peanuts. The last two ingredients are essential as they build up the delicious taste of peanut chicken.
Marination of the chicken is essential as it will improve the flavor. To marinate the chicken, season it with a mixture of salted curd for at least half an hour. The whole process takes around 1.25 hours to complete.
Peanut Chicken Recipe
- Kitchen Weighing Scale
- Kitchen Knife
- Mixer Grinder
- Kitchen Chimney
- Gas Stove or Induction Cooktop
- 750 grams Chicken
- 1 cup Curd
- 25 pc Peanuts mashed
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Mashed Mustard
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4 pc Cardamom
- 1 pc Cinnamon As required
- 2 pc Cinnamon Leaves
- 2 pc Green chilli
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- Weigh 750 grams of chicken (with bone) and cut them in medium-sized pieces as the first step for peanut chicken recipe. Then make ready all the necessary ingredients mentioned.
- Mix 1 cup curd and 1 tsp common salt properly and season the chicken with this mixture thoroughly. Then cover the container and leave it for an hour to complete marination.
- Turn on your chimney and make your gas stove or cooktop ready for the next steps.
- Get your kadai on the stove and add 1 cup of mustard oil. Then turn on the
induction cooktopor light up your gas stove to heat the oil. You can also use an auto ignition gas stove to automatically ignite fire.
- When the kadai is heated, add 1 cup of chopped onion and fry it till the color turns brown.
- Next, add the marinated chicken and mix it well with the ingredients.
- Now add 3 tbsp of mashed peanut, 2 tbsp of mashed mustard and 1 cup of water to the chicken and mix vigorously. In this process remember the keep the gas stove flame to medium or 200-250°C temperature on the induction cooktop.
- Chop 2-3 green chillies and add it to the mixture along with 1 tbsp garam masala. Then stir the mixture with low flame. If you are using an induction cooktop set a temperature 150-200°C. After proper mixing, your peanut chicken will be prepared.
- Add 1 tbsp of lime juice to the marinating mixture if you want to experiment.
- You can add 2 tsp of honey to sweeten the recipe if you like.
- Adding 1 tsp of soy sauce can also improve the taste.
- You can add a little broccoli, red bell pepper and carrots to add some flavor of vegetables.
Peanut Chicken Recipe: Nutrition
Peanut chicken is a highly nutritious dish. With the peanut chicken recipe, you will get 397 calories of energy, 17.1g fat, 98mg cholesterol, 2.9g sodium, 23.9g carbohydrate, and 39.9g protein which are within safe limits for consumption. Check the following nutrition data for more information.
Making peanut chicken at home does not require much effort and energy. Most of the ingredients are readily available in all Indian homes. It is a perfect chicken dish as the main course with pulao, noodles, or naan. Just follow the recipe and make peanut chicken at your home.
Try other chicken dishes: